Auditions May 16
Students may submit an audition video if you prefer to stay home.
About The Show & Auditions
Director: Elizabeth Kirkland
Choreographer: Lisa Garretson
Producer: Claire McNeill
Auditions are May 16, 2020. An alternate audition will be held on May 15 at 4:00 for those who are not available on May 16.
Actors must be 8-18 years old at the time of auditions to be considered for casting. Auditions and rehearsals will be held at Shine: 3035 W. 15th St., Plano. Rehearsals prior to tech week will run June 29-July 18 and be held on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 5:30-9:00 and Saturday from 9:00-2:30. A rehearsal schedule will be distributed after casting and some actors will not be called to every rehearsal.
Tech week is July 20-23 from 5:00-10:00 pm. The show runs July 24-26 and July 31-August 2, 2020 at The Courtyard Theatre in Downtown Plano. Tech week rehearsals and performances are mandatory.
Please come prepared with sheet music in a 3-ring binder for piano accompaniment to perform 16-32 bars of a song from a musical. No singing acapella. No singing to accompaniment recordings. Actors will also be doing cold readings from the script.
Audition Form and Headshots
All students who choose to audition in person will be required to submit their signed audition form and headshot in an email to email@example.com by Thursday, May 14 at noon.
On Thursday, May 14, all students will receive an email with a link to a video of choreographer Lisa Garretson teaching the combo for the dance call. All students are asked to learn the combo at home. You will perform the dance as a group in person during your scheduled time (when you sing and read sides). Please set aside time on your calendar to use the video and prep. The regularly scheduled 1:15 and 2:00 dance call times will not be used for their original intended purpose.
Procedures on the Day of the Audition
Please wait in your car in the parking lot when you arrive. Students may only enter the building when you receive a text message. If parents/guardians have any questions or need assistance, please stay in the car and call 972-519-1622. Please wait in the lobby when you are asked to enter the building. You will be sent to the audition room to audition. Our facility/main hallway will be one-way. When your audition is over, you will be required to exit the building through the back door. You will not be permitted to walk back down the hallway to the lobby or front door. The back door of our building is clearly marked with a huge Shine logo.
- Students will enter the building in very small groups
- The space will be disinfected between each audition group
- Hand sanitizer will be provided at the entrance and exit
- Individuals who feel sick or have a fever will be asked to stay home and accommodated online
- There will be a small group of staff and volunteers present. Those who are present will be wearing face masks.
- All individuals will be required to stay 6 feet apart and we will provide individual spaces for each student in the audition group to stand/sing/dance, similar to “grocery store squares”
Please include your conflict info on your audition form. Shine will be unable to accept rehearsal and performance conflicts after casting except in the case of an emergency.
Tuition: $395/$295 for Shine Academy Members (plus $25 2019 registration fee). Students have the opportunity to fundraise all or part of their tuition by registering for an account here. (Click on Student Center.) We have donors ready and standing by to help you!
If you are cast in the show, full tuition is due at the time of casting. For your convenience, we do allow this obligation to be fulfilled in 3 monthly payments. Tuition is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Click here to schedule an audition. Your audition registration is complete after you have registered for a time to sing/read sides AND for the dance call.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are parents required to volunteer?
There are three times that parents/guardians are required to be involved if your child is cast in the show. Cast members are also required to be at the following dates and times:
1. Informational meeting on Monday, June 15 at 6:00 – 45 minute commitment
2. Choose one of two dates to volunteer: Load up (July 19 at 5:00 pm, 1-2 hour commitment) or Load in (July 20 at 9:00 am, 1-4 hour commitment, depending on your willingness)
3. Strike (August 2, 1-2 hour commitment, varies from production to production)
Additionally, we would welcome parent help at our set build.
2. What if I am only interested in certain roles?
There is a place on the audition form to state this. If the director chooses not to cast you in the “only” roles you’ve chosen, one of two things will happen:
1. You will not be cast in the show, or
2. You will receive a phone call from the producer or stage manager offering you another role in the show. It is probable that if you do not receive the specific role(s) you listed, you will not be offered an alternate role.
If you would prefer to stay home and submit an audition video, we completely understand and promise to give careful and thoughtful consideration to your audition.
Please submit a dropbox folder with three landscape videos, your signed audition form, and headshot. Include:
- Your 16-32 bar cut of a song from a musical. Landscape video from the waist up. Sing to a recording of your accompaniment. No a capella singing.
- Your dance call. Learn the dance combo provided by our choreographer and dance to the song from the cast recording. Landscape video from head to toe.
- Your cold read. Landscape video from the waist up. Have a family member read off camera with you.
Please pay close attention to the details outlined in this blog post and use them as guidelines. Dropbox folder should be labeled “Student first and last name Matilda Audition Shine.” Video files should be labeled “student first and last name song” (etc). Dropbox folders should be submitted to producer Claire McNeill at email@example.com by 9:00 am on Friday May 15.
If you submit a video audition, you may be called to a zoom call in the afternoon on Saturday, May 16 if the audition panel would like to see more from you. Please keep the time open on your calendar.